I've done a complete restyle of the web site.
I'm a massive fan of emacs for a very long time, specifically org-mode (for nearly as long). More and more, I use these tools for my writing, whatever the context, and many years ago I went looking for a mechanism to blog through emacs and orgmode.
I eventually found o-blog, which I have been using ever since.
However, I never liked the default styling that came with it, and I
have always wanted to change it. The problem was that its all based
on Bootstrap and
technologies I just did not have time to learn in order to use a
Of course, I didn't help myself by not incorporating o-blog as a git project and taking and using updates as they came along.
Anyway, I ripped out Bootstrap and less, broke my web site, and started building it back up again with just a plain CSS file.
The result is what you see in front of you1.
This has allowed me to do a few things behind the scenes:
- Remove all dependencies on o-blog's versions of the templates and styling files.
- Separate out code for my site and code for the o-blog engine. More on that below.
For me, this will make it easier to manage the web site, as I now know the distinction between what's part of my site and what's part of the o-blog engine.
My site is based on version 1.2 of o-blog, but o-blog itself is no longer supported by the developer. Sébastien Gross worked to upgrade and modernise o-blog (developing up to release 2.6), but it would have broken my web site for me to use it, and then a few years ago, he stopped updating it. My work above has put me in a position to manage the code somewhat myself.
So, this will be my next little project – to modernise o-blog to support blogging with the newer versions of GNU Emacs and org-mode. I'm not releasing anything quite yet, but will look at doing so in the coming months.
You can't add any comments to this post. If there is something you would like to bring to my attention, please use the contact mechanisms below to get in touch.